February 20, 2010

Goodnight, Sweetheart

I just found out that the daughter of a very good friend has passed away.
She was only seventeen.

I've always known that this was coming. She was born with cystic fibrosis and has spent a good portion of her short life in the hospital or on some kind of breathing apparatus. Year after year we participated in the CF Walk and various CF spaghetti dinners, cookie sales, and other things to help their family raise money for CF research.

It sounds weird, but I never really expected this to happen. Their family and daughter have been part of my life for so many years that CF just seemed like a way of life.
I almost forgot it's also a cause of death.
Part of my heart goes with young L. and her family, all of whom I love dearly. I will always remember you, sweet girl, with a song in my heart, remembering all the ways you brought life and love to those around you. You who knew from the very start that your life would be brief, had a way of packing more life into the time you had than most people who lived much longer but merely existed.
We are going to miss you so much.

No comments: