September 4, 2009

A Bird in the Snout

A few days ago was a blazing hot, 90 degrees F according to the plastic thermometer on the back deck. So when the children went tearing out the sliding door and neglected to close it behind them, naturally I yelled out, "SHUT THE DOOR!" Naturally, none of them returned to shut the door. The A/C was drifting out and ungodly hot air was wafting IN. As I was crossing the room to close the door, a BIRD flew in the house.

I can't say I blame the bird, after all in 90 degree heat everyone needs to find a place to cool off. My roommate is taking medication that makes her uncomfortable in the heat, so our house is like a meat locker, about 65 degrees. I'm sure the frosty air lured the hot bird inside...

Within about 10 seconds, our beagle jumped into action! A bird, infiltrating our home base! This must be dealt with immediately. The kids returned inside just in time to see our overweight beagle SPRING into action, grab the bird out of midair and *SNAP* it's little neck.

To say that the children reacted negatively really does not sum it up. A collective cry went up from the bunch. I didn't think they were even paying attention! All three, even my adolescent boy, burst into tears as the dog shook the bird back and forth, making damn sure the vicious beast was indeed dead. They were screaming at the dog, calling her a vicious killer. Really, nothing could be farther from the truth. The last thing she got violent with was a pink squeaky toy that had crossed her path as she walked outside. Otherwise, she lounges in the sun or on the couch or on my bed (her preferred location). But there she was, her beastly canine instincts sharp and ready, snapping and strangling and shaking the bird to death.

Finally, she dropped the bird...on the dining room rug, I might add...and trotted off. She stopped in front of me and waited for her reward so I patted her head and thanked her for saving us from the brutal birdie. The kids were HORRIFIED at this but I assured them that beagles generally do not have a moral code, that she is a hound, a hunting dog by nature, and she was doing what she was bred to do.
Just the same, it didn't stop the kids from collaborating on a way to "save" the bird, even though it was clearly dead. They pulled out my laptop and my son googled "wildlife rescue" in our area and proceeded to call and find out where we could take the bird to be rehabilitated.

One look at the bird told the story, that there would be no rehabbing. Instead, he left a message for the rescue saying he believed the bird was in a coma. The girls looked relieved that the bird might still be alive and so it was that we decided it was in a coma.

Not long after, the kids went back outside to play with friends and I tossed the bird out into the woods, returning it to its wild home. Not wanting to upset the apple cart, when the kids inquired about the bird, I mentioned that our roommate took the bird to rehab and they would release it there.

Perhaps missed a teaching opportunity with my kids. But you know what? They've lost a dog, fish, hamsters and many other pets. I just couldn't bear to disappoint their eager faces with news of yet another dead animal. I did share that I didn't think the bird was doing so well and that it was a good reason to remember to shut the door so that birds won't fly in again and get squashed by our hound dog!

The door has remained closed ever since.



EPILOGUE:


Apparently, the kids KNEW what I did. They saw me throw the bird into the woods and upon seeing this, convened a child-huddle where they likely used hushed tones and concerned "what are we gonna do about crazy ol' mom" voices:

A: "Okay, confirmed. She threw the bird into the woods."
P: "Do you think she really thought the bird was in a coma?"
A: "Negative. I think she was trying to spare our feelings."
N: "Poor mom. She feels sorry for the bird AND she feels sorry for us."
A: "We better not tell her we know. We don't want to hurt her feelings."
N & P: "Agreed!"

P. went and spilled the beans to her mom (my roommate) who then told me the story in between fits of snort-filled laughter. I laughed but I could feel the warmth creeping into my chest; as upset as I had been with them about the damn door, those little buggers did it again, they went and warmed my heart.

No comments: