September 24, 2009

Criminal


Sometimes a song pops into your head or comes on the radio unbidden and it seems to fit your circumstances at that moment in time so well that its almost scary. Fiona Apple's "Criminal" came on the car radio today while I was driving. It's been years since I've heard it and I couldn't remember at first who sang it or what it was called. But as I listened to the words, I almost careened off the DC Beltway. I was a good Catholic girl, so I know somehow, someway, I'm guilty, this is my fault, this is something I did and I need to be redeemed in some way, though what that is I might never know. 

Let the flogging begin......


Criminal

I've been a bad, bad girl,
I've been careless with a delicate man.
Don't you tell me to deny it,
I've done wrong and I want to
Suffer for my sins.
What I need is a good defense
cause Im feelin like a criminal.
And I need to be redeemed
To the one I sinned against
Because he was all I ever knew of love.
I know tomorrow

brings the consequence at hand.
But I keep livin' this day like
The next will never come.
I've got to cleanse myself.
Until I'm good enough for him.
Ive got a lot to lose and I'm
Bettin' high
So I'm beggin' you before it ends
Just tell me where to begin.
Ive got to make a play
To make my lover stay
So, what would an angel say? 
Cause the devil wants to know.
OH, I need to be redeemed
To the one I sinned against
Because he was all I ever knew of love.




No comments: