September 5, 2009

War is Hell




Almost like
I'm swimming in paste
My hand goes out
In front of my face
I see myself
I know I'm here
I walk these streets
I have no fear.
Everyone else
they don't seem real
I'm not in touch
with how I feel
The bullets whiz by
I duck my head
Look to the ground
to see who's dead.
Back at home
They crowd around me
They've no idea
Just what I've seen.
I can't relate
Just sit and stare


No place for me
Not here nor there.
A car door slams
I dive to the floor
My buddies laugh
They cry for more.
They wanna hear
About my crimes
How many I killed
During my time.
They've no idea
Just who I am
They think I'm cool
Such a big man.
But nothing at all
feels real to me
they've no idea
just what I've seen.
I'm swimming in paste
I'm living in fear
Can't afford
to shed one tear.
Don't look at me
don't try to speak
If I open up
You'll know I'm weak.
My hand goes out
To touch her skin
Can't feel a thing
outside or in.
She wants to know
just what is wrong
I show no smile
I sing no song.
"You don't know
just what I've seen."
I bury my head
and wish for peace.
She walks out
and slams the door
hollers back
"Can't take no more!"
Alone again.
I hear the attack.
I've traveled down
To hell and back.
You've no idea
just what I've seen
and I won't tell
I'll keep you clean.
These dirty secrets
are mine to keep
they steal my soul
they kill my sleep.
What happened there
I'll never tell
But I'll tell you this:

War is Hell.


No comments: